What is an ITIN & what are its benefits?

What is an ITIN or Tax ID?

The ITIN, or Tax ID as it is sometimes called, is a nine-digit number offered by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to individuals who do not have a social security number and are not eligible to obtain one.

Why is an ITIN necessary?

The ITIN aids individuals who do not have a social security number to comply with the laws of the United States. In the United States, filing an income tax return is a requirement. The ITIN has also been accepted by some private institutions to establish credit and to permit individuals to:

  • Buy a house.
  • Open a bank account.
  • Buy a car.
  • Rent an apartment.
  • Open a business.
  • Document the time you have lived in the United States.*
  • File taxes even though you have been paid in cash.

* The ITIN is not a valid documentation for individuals to work legally in the United States and does not change an individual's immigration status

How do I obtain an ITIN?

Your tax preparer can help you with the application process for an ITIN from beginning to end. The ITIN application form (W-7) should be accompanied by:

  • Two identification documents (original or certified copies from the issuing agency)
  • An income tax return

All documents should be mailed directly to the corresponding IRS office located in Austin, TX. It is estimated that it takes about 4 to 6 weeks to obtain an ITIN.

List of documents accepted by the IRS:

  • Valid passport (stand-alone document).
  • United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) photo identification.
  • Visa issued by the U.S. Department of State.
  • United States driver's license.
  • United States military identification card.
  • Foreign driver's license.
  • Foreign military identification card.
  • National identification card. The document must be current and contain the individual's name, address, photograph, date of birth and expiration date (i.e. Mexican Matrícula card).
  • U.S. State identification card.
  • Foreign voter's registration card.
  • Civil birth certificate.*
  • Medical records. **
  • School records. **

*May be used to establish foreign status only if the documents are foreign.

** Dependents only - under 14 years of age; under 18 years of age if a student.

Will the IRS share my information with Immigration?

It is important to know that according to United States federal law, the IRS cannot share information with the immigration authorities. You can be assured that your information is confidential.

SiempreTax+ is committed to helping you with your tax return. Our representatives are ready to answer your questions and help you through the process to obtain a free ITIN for you and your dependents. We help you file your taxes in a friendly manner and with the utmost confidentiality.

Call 1-855-4-SIEMPRE (1-855-4-743-6773) for more information in Spanish and find the nearest office.